Jiu-jitsu in translation from Japanese means the gentle art. The martial art uses leverage, momentum, pressure and refined technique to take one's adversary to the ground and control and subdue them if necessary.
The practical self defense system was specifically designed to enable a physically smaller individual to efficiently and effectively protect themselves against a larger and stronger attacker. Thus, it is uniquely suited for children (ages 6 & up), teens, women and men of all sizes. Anyone and everyone can participate.
Through continued refinement and direct application in real life self defense scenarios - bjj is a proven and complete martial art.
bjj at seung-ni
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu training at Seung-ni is fun, effective and empowering. Classes are taught by patient and encouraging instructors. Beginner students are welcomed into a positive martial arts community where they can learn at their own pace. Our students (young and old) come from all walks of life and are interested in learning bjj for self defense, sport jiu-jitsu, stress release, balance and just the great physical workout.
WHAT MEMBERS ARE SAYING ABOUT SEUNG-NI BJJ
"I had always wanted to try BJJ. I have a friend who lives down state and he has been doing BJJ for several years and is so excited about it. But I was not in the best of shape and a little nervous to try it. One day my wife finally just said "call them." And, I did. It was one of the best decisions I had ever made. I scheduled an intro lesson for the following week. First thing I noticed was that the gym was super clean and the instructors were really welcoming. They had a uniform waiting for me at the front counter. I was partnered up with an assistant instructor so I was able to learn the moves at my own pace and he was able to answer all my questions. I learned so much that first class I could not wait to join the team. Would highly recommend Seung-ni to anyone who has ever wanted to try Brazilian Jiu-jitsu."
— William R., Traverse City
8 BENEFITS OF BJJ Training
GREAT WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT & STAY FIT
BUILDS TREMENDOUS CONFIDENCE
& FIND BALANCE
THINK BETTER UNDER PRESSURE
BJJ IS JUST
Do I need to be in good shape, strong and flexible to begin bjj? Not at all. By training in bjj you will certainly increase your strength, flexibility and overall fitness, but you do not need those traits to start practicing the art.
Am I too old to learn bjj? No. Anyone at any age can do bjj. At Seung-ni our students range in age from 6 up into their 60's.
Do I have to compete? No. The majority of students in bjj do not compete. Most people train simply for the great self defense, fitness and life style benefits of the art. Of course, competition can be a great way to set goals and to challenge yourself. So if you decide later you would like to go to a tournament our instructors are happy to help with that as well.
Is bjj safe? Brazilian Jiu-jistu is a very safe sport, and safety is a core principle at the Seung-ni Academy. Our mat etiquette, curriculum structure, practice procedures and instruction manner all ensure safety first.
How do I get started? Today is the day that you can begin your journey that will change your life. Just complete the FREE Intro Class Form Below.
Free Introductory Class Offer
Ready to begin your bjj journey today? We can't wait for you
to join us...
Great, so what happens next???
1. Just fill out the quick form below or give us a call at 932-4300.
2. One of our instructors will email or call you to schedule your FREE introductory bjj class for you or your child. Beginning bjj classes are on:
Monday 7:00-8:00 pm
Wednesday 7:00-8:00 pm
Friday 7:00-8:00 pm
3. Please try to arrive 10-15 minutes early so that you can meet the staff and fill out a new visitor form. We will get you set up with a loaner gi (woven cotton jacket and pants) to train with. You can wear comfortable athletic clothing (t-shirt or compression shirt and workout shorts). No other preparation -- just come, learn and have fun!
4. A beginning student is always paired up with someone who is more experienced so that you can learn at your own pace, ask questions and they will patiently help guide you through your first bjj class.
5. We begin bjj class with some light calisthenics and stretching. After the warm up we begin practicing techniques. These drills when done repeatedly develop muscle memory to help students retain technique.
Just fill out and submit for Free BJJ Intro Class
Thanks for submitting! We will contact you within 24 hours!